Friday 6 July 2012

happy birthday frida

I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality.
Frida Kahlo



There is a little piece of my heart that is reserved for all things Frida Kahlo. I don't necessarily like of all her paintings or her style, but its the honesty and the pain which is so evident throughout each piece of work. 

The broken column for instance.. Frida was in a horrendous bus accident when she was just seventeen. She broke her spine, pelvis and right leg, and also lost the ability to have children which scarred her deeply. This painting depicts her suffering. With a brutal body cast supporting her shattered spine and tears falling from her eyes, one can quite clearly see all the emotion which Frida felt when painting this self portrait.

Not only was she physically broken but somewhat emotionally too. She loved her husband Diego Rivera through all of his infidelities and misfortunes. 



There have been two great accidents in my life. One was the trolley, and the other was Diego. Diego was by far the worst.
Frida Kahlo


I love you more than my own skin.
Frida Kahlo

'The broken column (self portrait)'










No comments:

Post a Comment